If you’re over 65 you’ve no doubt seen plenty of information on BALANCE, most likely from your physician or the multitude of newsletters and articles that are written about aging. Maybe you go to fitness classes for seniors and your instructor works balance into your workouts.
Why so much attention on balance?
The data is staggering –
• 1 in 4 Americans aged 65+ report falling every year. Retrospective data shows 1 in 3 actually fall
• Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older Americans.
• Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall
• Falls are the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults
• Every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from the after effects of a fall.
When balance diminishes, falls and fear of falling consistently deprive seniors of their health, mobility and important social connections. It doesn’t have to be that way!
The good news is:
“Falling is not an inevitable part of aging. Through practical lifestyle adjustments, evidence-based programs, and community partnerships, the number of falls among seniors can be reduced substantially.” – National Council on Aging
Nymbl Science is a mission-driven company committed to Preventing a Million Falls. By combining smartphone technology with evidence-based methodologies that include current science combining brain and exercise research, Nymbl differs from other fall prevention interventions –
• Balance and improvement are measured and quantified
• Training is daily and requires less than 10 minutes/day
• Training occurs at home and when it is most convenient
• Simultaneous cognitive work, “dual tasking” prepares the brain to respond to the distraction in life when elders are more prone to falling
We know that falls are not a normal part of aging, most falls can be prevented, and our balance system is making that key difference for people every day. Onward to 1 million falls prevented!